Our Favorite Fantasy Islands: Behind-the-Scenes Photos

January 26, 2010 | By | Comments (10)
Check out secret footage from the Coastal Living editors who scoured islands in search of the best spots for foodies and adventurers to play. For the complete story, see page 49 of the February 2010 issue.

Summer-10
"Richard Branson's sandbar island off Nekkar Island that we visit during a snorkel trip."
—Steele Marcoux, design editor

Summer-3
"Hiking to snorkel in Virgin Gorda's famous Baths, a system of grottos formed
by giant boulders on the beach." —Steele Marcoux, design editor

Summer-1

"My taxi driver taking in the views from the island's copper mine ruins." —Steele Marcoux, design editor

Summer-8
"The view from my room at Biras Creek." —Steele Marcoux, design editor

Summer-9
"This is the tiny plane that carried me from St. Thomas to Virgin Gorda." —Steele Marcoux, design editor

Summer-2
"The airport when I landed in Virgin Gorda. You won't find a Starbucks here!"
—Steele Marcoux, design editor

Summer-4
"Rainbow seen from my room at Biras Creek." —Steele Marcoux, design editor

Summer-5
"My lovely beachside hideaway at the Bitter End Yacht Club." —Steele Marcoux, design editor

Summer-7
"Iguana!" —Steele Marcoux, design editor

Photo 6-R

"My sister, Jennifer (left), and me attempting a self-portrait at one of St. Barths' 14 beaches."
—Sara Peterson, executive editor

Photo 8-R

"Boats docked in Gustavia Harbor." —Sara Peterson, executive editor

Photo 7-R

"View from seat 1A on a prop plane from St. Martin to St. Barths—only a 10-minute flight!"
—Sara Peterson, executive editor

Photo 1-R
"View from my villa at Eden Rock resort." –Sara Peterson, executive editor

Photo 4-RPhoto 2-R
"Me savoring fresh seafood appetizers in the open-air dining room of Le Gaiac at Le Toiny Hotel."
—Sara Peterson, executive editor

Photo 3-R
"One of my favorite things at Le Gaiac restaurant: mango crab salad, crispy Parmesan cheese with guacamole sorbet and lime foam. Delicious!" —Sara Peterson, executive editor

Photo 5-R
"My Ugly Dolls always travel with me. Here they're poolside at my bungalow at Le Toiny Hotel."
—Sara Peterson, executive editor

P1010870-R
"This is me arriving on Bequia from Barbados where I ended up spending the night. It took me several extra days to get there due to delayed travel." —Elizabeth Beeler, freelance writer

P1010867-R
"There were no departing flights from Bequia to Union Island, but I met this guy, Bob, and paid him $200 cash to fly me to Union Island in this tiny plane. I wore headphones and the whole bit. It was pretty exciting, despite the hot and semi-claustrophobic atmosphere of the plane. But I got to a bird's eye view of so many of the islands that I have visited over the years." —Elizabeth Beeler, freelance writer

P1010979-R
"I had such trouble with travels getting to Petite St. Vincent (PSV) and was left stranded on Bequia—no plane, no boat. Nice place to be stranded, though!" —Elizabeth Beeler, freelance writer

COMMENTS

1. Allison Crawford

Awesome Pictures, love the pool!

February 3, 2010 at 3:22 pm
  2. Furniture Removal

The thing I love about going to beaches is the comfort and relaxation that it brings.

February 12, 2010 at 4:27 am
  3. Online Tutor Jobs

Now this is one place that is sure to make my vacation list.

February 12, 2010 at 10:04 pm
  4. Removalists Australia

With this kind of setting who wouldn’t go. I can’t think of any reason why I shouldn’t go. This place really rocks.

March 4, 2010 at 10:56 pm
  5. gopal

Fantasy Island Amusement Park has been created with a Victorian air that is timeless in its appeal. Z-Brick walkways, oak benches, ornate lamp posts, and Tiffany glass chandeliers and panels all come together in a clean, safe family facility that will delight young and old!

March 17, 2010 at 2:30 am
  6. gopal

March 17, 2010 at 2:47 am
  7. replica tiffany jewelry

At the first thought anyone would have an impression that this blog is another of those based on some abstract topic . Only after reading it one realises that there is serious stuff inside, great work

November 4, 2010 at 6:36 pm
  8. Scossa

A lovely set of photographs especially the beachside hideaway at Bitter End Yacht Club. It’s a long way from the bitterly cold uk weather that we have outside at the moment.

December 6, 2010 at 4:20 am
  9. Burger Davis

Scouring the islands in search of the best spots to play? I’m jealousy, you certainly have a job many can only dream of. The Nekkar Island looks idylic as does the chic suite at Hotel St Barths

January 10, 2011 at 6:10 am
  10. jeopardy game template for powerpoint

Hi my friend! I wish to say that this article is amazing,
    great written and include almost all important infos.
    I would like to peer more posts like this .

January 21, 2013 at 4:42 pm