Our Blue Cocktail Needs a Name! Enter Your Best Idea Today!

March 14, 2017 | By | Comments (201)

We are flat-out in love with our latest (electric blue!) libation. But there’s only one problem: It doesn’t have a name!

Our latest Cocktail of the Month is the ideal drink to sip while flipping through our April issue (out on newsstands now!), a celebration of all things blue, from bungalows atop turquoise seas to a Lowcountry beach house decked out in blue and white. Enter your best name idea for the drink for a chance to be featured in an upcoming issue of Coastal Living! (See all of our past winners here.)

How to Enter (See full contest rules here.):

1. Enter anytime from March 10 until April 13, 2017.
  2. Suggest a fun, creative, and evocative name for the recipe. Explain the name in a sentence or two in the comments below (50 words or less).
  3. The winning recipe name (and your name, if you wish) will be printed in an upcoming issue of Coastal Living!

Photo: Jennifer Causey; prop styling: Claire Spollen; food styling: Chelsea Zimmer

How to Make Our April Cocktail of the Month:

Place 2 coupe glasses in the freezer for 10 minutes. Combine 6 Tbsp. pineapple juice, 6 Tbsp. (about 3 oz.) gin, ¼ cup (about 2 oz.) blue Curaçao, 2 Tbsp. (about 1 oz.) velvet falernum, and 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice (from 1 large lemon) in a cocktail shaker. Add 1 large egg white, and fill shaker with ice. Cover and shake vigorously 30 seconds; strain evenly into chilled glasses. Garnish each cocktail with a lemon peel twist, if desired, and serve immediately. Serves 2.

COMMENTS

1. Kathy Sonnemann

Caribbean Dream
    Reminds me of a sweet spot when I travel to the Caribbean.

March 22, 2017 at 9:02 pm
  2. Elaine Woodward

Blue velvet Lemon

March 22, 2017 at 9:15 pm
  3. Toni Leathers

Blue Skies Ahead
    You’ll be flyin’ high after a few of these yummies. They go down easy.

March 22, 2017 at 10:22 pm
  4. Joel Leathers

Turquoise & Caicos
    It’s the color of the water of the islands.

March 22, 2017 at 10:34 pm
  5. Robin Gurdak-Foley

Tranquil Tropical Tryst- The Triple T … Sip this delectable delight, gazing out at the calm, blue lagoon on your favorite Caribbean island with your lover while anticipating a romantic evening when the sun sinks below the horizon…

March 22, 2017 at 10:36 pm
  6. tessacalder

Limestone Coaster
    As a tribute to Australia’s blue lake in the Limestone Coast area. Cool and shaken like the local surf scene.

March 22, 2017 at 10:47 pm
  7. Daisy

Blue Lagoon

March 22, 2017 at 11:13 pm
  8. Lucia villasana

High Tide- drink up and feel the tide come in! Enjoy!

March 23, 2017 at 12:46 am
  9. Josephine

Sky Rise. Just looking at it heightens joy, relaxation and elation and the taste sensation is right up there !

March 23, 2017 at 2:33 am
  10. Meredith Davidenko

“Welcome to Curacao” is the perfect name. When you take that first sip, it’ll take you away to the beautiful blue waters of the seas.

March 23, 2017 at 7:03 am
  11. Dan Davidenko

“Caribbean Blue”
    One taste of this and it’ll take you away to your favorite blue waters.

March 23, 2017 at 7:09 am
  12. Susan Ray

Bermuda Sea Mist!
    Looks just like their water after the waves crash and you see this wonderful sea mist in the ocean!!

March 23, 2017 at 7:56 am
  13. Ana Blanco

Cock-Teal Me the Truth
    One sip of this sexy blue beauty and we would all be sharing our secrets!

March 23, 2017 at 11:57 am
  14. Diane Regan – Holliston, MA

Velveteen Blue Mist – A perfect cocktail for a beach cocktail party anywhere!

March 23, 2017 at 12:06 pm
  15. virginia blanchard

“my blue heaven”

March 23, 2017 at 3:32 pm
  16. Kathleen Bergeron

“Santorini” …because the beautiful blue and white of the drink are reminiscent of those colors as revealed in houses, rooftops, sea and sky of the lovely Greek isles by that name.

March 23, 2017 at 6:22 pm
  17. Janice Bonner

The Blue Meanie

March 23, 2017 at 7:07 pm
  18. Kelly

“Whipped Tides”

The foamy topping, alluring hue and tasteful kick remind me of unsuspectingly finding myself caught in a riptide — only this is way less dangerous and way more fun!

March 23, 2017 at 7:39 pm
  19. Dan

“Blue Lagoon Free Dive”

Immerse your senses with a free dive into a cold glass complemented with a warm deep blue libation, reminiscent of the chilling air that meets the warm natural spa in Iceland’s Blue Lagoon.

March 23, 2017 at 8:56 pm
  20. Yolanda Fontes

The Bikini Bottom

Since the ingredients include pineapple and the cocktail is blue like the ocean, Spongebob comes to mind!!! The Bikini Bottom sounds appropriate.

March 23, 2017 at 9:27 pm
  21. traci glass

AZURE TWISTED

A seemingly calm, tranquil blue cocktail with a splash of tropical paradise, but watch out… too many might get you twisted.

March 24, 2017 at 8:54 am
  22. Tracy Rud

Aquamarini – that pure color and clarity of aquamarine water through which you can see the bottom sand

March 24, 2017 at 11:21 am
  23. Deborah Schiffer

BLUE-te-ful Day
    What a Blue-te-ful day in the Neighborhood- won’t you be mine? won’t you be mine? lol! The name just makes you want to sing and drink a beautiful blue cocktail

March 24, 2017 at 1:29 pm
  24. Patricia Butler-Mccauley

“It Blue me away”. After this winter, the cold winds blew me right into wanting sunshine, warm sapphire waters, clear sky’s and a drink that is smooth and refreshing as a foamy blue ocean wave washing over you.

March 24, 2017 at 1:47 pm
  25. Debbora A Prost

My White Velvet Blu-Da-Coupe!

No longer imagining my turquoise nirvana, I’ve arrived! Bring me this cocktail! Its’ taste replicates the refreshing Blue- Green waters with their whitecaps where I now, barefoot, get to step into, feel, see, smell, taste…
    I’m gone!

March 24, 2017 at 2:10 pm
  26. Melissa Bried

“Caribbean Blue Velvet” !!!
    “Blue” like the amazing blue “Caribbean” Sea. Curacao is the beautiful Caribbean island where Curacao Blue Liquor is made. “Velvet” Falernum is an ingredient. The drink looks as smoothe as velvet. Sipping my “Caribbean Blue Velvet” will remind me of the awesome time I spent on Curacao !

March 24, 2017 at 2:59 pm
  27. Lorrie Meier

Sea Foam ( with a twist of lemon) , I imagine the beautiful blue ocean waves splashing the beach topped off with the foam of the sea , and the twist of lemon represents the sun 🌊☀️💙

March 24, 2017 at 5:05 pm
  28. Julie Brooks Augsburger

Blue Me Away! It has two meanings as in “blew me away” it is so yummy and it took my “blues” away as it so therapeutic!

March 24, 2017 at 5:51 pm
  29. Dave Fontes

Aruba Daze

Reminiscent of the azure skies and pearl sand beaches on this tropical isle, our Aruba Daze cocktail is guaranteed to whisk you away to a little corner of paradise.

March 24, 2017 at 8:48 pm
  30. Kimberly Eiler

Blue Hawaii –
    I think Elvis would agree that’s a great name! Pineapple juice gives it a Hawaiian flair. My second choice was Blue Velvet, but I think someone else sang that song, didn’t they?

March 25, 2017 at 10:19 am
  31. Briana Pagano

“Now You Sea It”

This ocean-inspired drink is in your hand one second and gone the next. Talk about beach daze!

March 25, 2017 at 11:30 am
  32. Cathy Myers

AquamarinA Citrus Delight

It’s turquoise like the sea. It’s refreshing and awakens the senses with a spritz of citrus.

March 25, 2017 at 12:42 pm
  33. Ben Daoheuang

Ocean Potion

The color of this drink reminds you of the ocean and the tantalizing ingredients will leave you feeling spellbound!

March 25, 2017 at 10:08 pm
  34. Lette Magrini

“Cur’ for the Blues”
    Just one look (and taste) will have forget the cold & have you on a stunning beach with swaying palm trees, surrounded by a calm azure sea. Aaaaahhh.

March 26, 2017 at 8:02 am
  35. Tarin

Great work. Truly speaking I never seen a blog like that. Absolutely superb work. Good luck. Thanks for such an informative post.

March 26, 2017 at 10:20 am
  36. Margaret Watson

Belize and Thank You

One of the most beautiful places in the world made better with family, friends and this fabulous cocktail!

March 26, 2017 at 11:00 am
  37. Margaret Fehrenbach

Glass bottom boat.

See the turquoise water through the glass. Since I saw the movie as a child, I thought every boat should have a glass bottom.

March 26, 2017 at 4:22 pm
  38. Margy Jones

Barbados Blue Velvet

March 26, 2017 at 5:08 pm
  39. cindy weaver

Smooch me now !
    The beautiful blue color of the water in the tropics, the lemon and alcohol will sure put you in the mood to smooch with your special someone while hydrating with this awesome cocktail.

March 26, 2017 at 7:22 pm
  40. cindy weaver

Tropical kiss
    The calm blue color of the drink makes you dream of sipping at the beach, lips puckering with the lemon , and just the right alcohol mix to make that magic moment!

March 26, 2017 at 7:28 pm
  41. Peter Levitan

“Blue Fiji”
    This name begs to be used because the recipe is essentially a Blue Hawaii, but with gin substituted for a Blue Hawaii’s rum and vodka. Fiji became a British colony in the 19th century, so its British history makes it appropriate for a cocktail substituting gin for other spirits. Also, my wife and I honeymooned in Fiji, and found it beautiful, exotic and enchanting – and with the friendliest people in the world, so we’d like to honor it as well. (Ok, “honour it.”)

March 26, 2017 at 10:03 pm
  42. Robin Buter

“Mermaid Waves”
    This “other-worldly” drink looks and feels like turquoise waters, ocean breezes, and splashy, playful, mermaid waves. Imagine bliss!

March 28, 2017 at 12:11 pm
  43. sailnavigator

Sunfisher’s Blues
    The color immediately brings to mind warm ocean waters, kicking back on a boat, soaking in sun and doing a little fishing. Drink this, drink in the view and send your blues away. There are ocean sunfish by the way.

March 29, 2017 at 1:27 am
  44. Debra Ridley

Blue Moon Rising
    As you enjoy this turquoise colored libation, you want to rise up and dance under the moonlight.

March 29, 2017 at 9:33 am
  45. Linda Zeh

Tropical Breeze Twisted
    Feel the breeze gently touch your face as you inhale the tropical beauty of the ocean blues and feel the sensation of delight quiver through your being.

March 29, 2017 at 11:31 am
  46. cynthia Ryan

A “Fred and “GIN”GER blue step”..One sip, and you will feel like dancing the night away !

March 29, 2017 at 2:40 pm
  47. Jennifer Hall

Hello, I love the beach. My family has had a condo at Panama City Beach for over 30 years. I love Coastal Living. I saw your contest about the new unnamed cocktail. I think it should be named sunset cloud. I was observing the sunset here on the coast tonight and that name came to me.Im a middle school counselor down at my family”s place for Spring Break. Love your magazine. 🌴😄 Thankyou.

March 29, 2017 at 8:18 pm
  48. Doug Alexander

Teal Me You Love Me

Her eyes matched the color of this amazing cocktail and I drowned in them. . .her eyes and the drink!

March 30, 2017 at 11:30 am
  49. 400stories

Beluga booze!
    Just repeat that out loud. Need I say more?

March 30, 2017 at 12:11 pm
  50. Regina Piva

SUMMER MADNESS
    I was born in a lovely beach city in Brazil!! That blue drink evoque the freeshness of the sea breeze!!!

March 30, 2017 at 2:52 pm