Our Blue Cocktail Needs a Name! Enter Your Best Idea Today!

March 14, 2017 | By | Comments (305)

We are flat-out in love with our latest (electric blue!) libation. But there’s only one problem: It doesn’t have a name!

Our latest Cocktail of the Month is the ideal drink to sip while flipping through our April issue (out on newsstands now!), a celebration of all things blue, from bungalows atop turquoise seas to a Lowcountry beach house decked out in blue and white. Enter your best name idea for the drink for a chance to be featured in an upcoming issue of Coastal Living! (See all of our past winners here.)

How to Enter (See full contest rules here.):

1. Enter anytime from March 10 until April 13, 2017.
  2. Suggest a fun, creative, and evocative name for the recipe. Explain the name in a sentence or two in the comments below (50 words or less).
  3. The winning recipe name (and your name, if you wish) will be printed in an upcoming issue of Coastal Living!

Photo: Jennifer Causey; prop styling: Claire Spollen; food styling: Chelsea Zimmer

How to Make Our April Cocktail of the Month:

Place 2 coupe glasses in the freezer for 10 minutes. Combine 6 Tbsp. pineapple juice, 6 Tbsp. (about 3 oz.) gin, ¼ cup (about 2 oz.) blue Curaçao, 2 Tbsp. (about 1 oz.) velvet falernum, and 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice (from 1 large lemon) in a cocktail shaker. Add 1 large egg white, and fill shaker with ice. Cover and shake vigorously 30 seconds; strain evenly into chilled glasses. Garnish each cocktail with a lemon peel twist, if desired, and serve immediately. Serves 2.

COMMENTS

1. J.D.Pulhug

This drink couldn’t be called anything but Bahamian Ocean and I’ve got the perfect picture that matches the drink.the cool teal waters of the Bahamas,but I think an additional lime peel to compliment the other colors on the palette. I could sip those after a hot day at the beach.

March 15, 2017 at 1:49 am
  2. Susan Sandry

The drink should be called “Seaside Serenity”. The first thing that came to mind when I saw the picture of the drink was sitting on a beautiful seaside beach relaxing enjoying the serene calm peace of the water splashing on the sand.

March 15, 2017 at 7:04 am
  3. Elizabeth V. Padro

IT SHOULD BE CALLED “BLUE WATERS” BECAUSE IT MAKES ME THINK OF SITTING NEAR THE OCEAN OR POOL WITH BREEZES BLOWING THE SMELL OF OCEAN AND SAND AND HAPPY TIMES!

March 15, 2017 at 10:15 am
  4. Maureen Olney

I’d call it “Blue Velvet.” The look of the drink reminds me of relaxing on the deck of the beautiful overwater house in Belize (front page of your April ’17 edition) in my favorite blue velvet robe fantasizing living that life every day.

March 16, 2017 at 6:41 am
  5. Elizabeth Hathorn

Elizabeth Hathorn

I would call this beautiful drink, “Beachy Chic.” It’s perfect for summer, reminds you of the beach, and it’s classy.

March 16, 2017 at 6:58 am
  6. Annmarie

Turkoise Velvet: This drink is a cool and refreshing Turquoise (voted color of the year twice by Coastal Living readers😉…and reminds me of the waters of Turks and Caicos. Turkoise Velvet – a Blue Velvet with a twist.

March 16, 2017 at 11:00 am
  7. Lorraine Trotter

Lorraine Trotter
    “Meringue Caribbe” it looks exactly like Caribbean waters with the seafoam on the waves. Pure delight when it passes thru your lips.

March 16, 2017 at 11:14 am
  8. Anne Brueggemann

“Halcyon daze”: Sipping this woudl make anyone happy and joyful with a sense of floating on the sea.

March 16, 2017 at 11:49 am
  9. Anne Brueggemann

“Halcyon daze”: Sipping this would make anyone happy and joyful with a sense of floating on the sea.

March 16, 2017 at 11:52 am
  10. Constance King

“Boracy Sun” for the beautiful island of the Phillipines where the turquoise color of the drink represents the water and the white foam of the drink represents sand. The yellow lemon peel represents the sun, of course!

March 16, 2017 at 1:55 pm
  11. Constance King

“Boracay Sun” for the beautiful island of the Phillipines where the turquoise color of the drink represents the water and the white foam of the drink represents the island’s white sand. The yellow lemon peel represents the sun, of course.

March 16, 2017 at 1:59 pm
  12. Steven Skoblicki

Drink Name: Blue Eggstacy! Named after its color and one of its ingredients!

March 16, 2017 at 3:00 pm
  13. Tina Wilson

The Velveteal (g)Rabbit!

An ingredient, its gorgeous color and the Easter season! Happy Easter, y’all!

March 16, 2017 at 3:07 pm
  14. Amy Coyne

CARRIBEAN SOL

This beachy cocktail looks like the waters of the Carribean. Sol mean “Sun” in Latin. Therefore this cocktail should be named none other than CARRIBEAN SOL.

March 16, 2017 at 3:18 pm
  15. Paige Everhart

My name for this cocktail is (Pine)Apple Of My Eye. This is just a fun play on the famous phrase that highlights the pineapple in the recipe. This drink has a retro 50’s feel to it that reminds me of an episode of Mad Men.

March 16, 2017 at 6:24 pm
  16. Nancy Schneider

My name for this cocktail is Crystal Blue Perswaysun. It reminds me of the song from the 60’s, spelled a little different, where you would be enjoying this drink on the beach swaying to the waves and soaking up the sun. All what the beach is all about!

March 16, 2017 at 7:04 pm
  17. Renata Lakshina

The name I’d give: SeaCumm

Gentle warmth of Mediterranean Sea breeze at sunset time: a slice of Cote d’Azur in your chilled glass.

March 16, 2017 at 7:09 pm
  18. Sandra Nehring

My name for this cocktail is: Sippin’ the Blues Away! Blue Curacao reminds me of the ocean. Whenever I am at or near the ocean, I don’t have a care in the world!

March 16, 2017 at 7:43 pm
  19. Tamara Stump

Looks like a “Crystal Blue Persuasion” to me. I think it represents the endless beauty and opportunities of the ocean!

March 16, 2017 at 8:01 pm
  20. Jessica Swartz

I’ll have a “Velvet Seafoam” pleeeeeease!!!! Reminiscent of the frothy warm turquise waters! I can’t wait to relax and enjoy my cocktail as I bask in the lemon yellow sun of the tropical “sea-renity”!!

March 17, 2017 at 8:41 am
  21. Francine Francis

“Cure”acao the Winter Blues!
    The perfect cure for a Nor’easter. As I looked out the window all I could imagine was sipping a “winter blue” cocktail by the teal blue waters and sandy white beaches.

March 17, 2017 at 9:04 am
  22. Linda Hukill

I Pine for Blue – this time of the year, with the grey skies in the north, I pine for blue skies, pineapples, and blue cocktails by the beach.

March 17, 2017 at 10:08 am
  23. Sherry Gaetani

“Everybody in the pool!”

This drink is my favorite shade of blue. Makes me think of the warm days to come sitting by the pool.

March 17, 2017 at 10:22 am
  24. Gem Bee

DEEP BLUE C……….
    This instantly made me return to snorkeling off the Maui coast at the Molikini crater! Such a rich blue all around, so far out to sea. Deep, cool, BLUE enchantment. Carefree, light heaven. Did I say heaven?

March 17, 2017 at 1:30 pm
  25. Tabitha Gibson

Ocean Dreamtini — A gorgeous ocean-blue cocktail perfect for sitting beach side and dreaming the day away.

March 17, 2017 at 2:47 pm
  26. shirley_jennings@hotmail.com

ISLAND NAVIGATOR – Landing on an island surrounded by a mesmerizing blue ocean

March 17, 2017 at 4:49 pm
  27. Melissa Gillett

“TWISTED PEACOCK”….reminds me of the peacocks that used to be in old Naples, Florida. Blue azure and teal bodies and the iridescent colors of the showy tail….I will drink to the that!

March 18, 2017 at 9:59 am
  28. Susan Alpeter

Blue Bayou
    After the first one, all the rest will just fly by you!

March 18, 2017 at 10:38 am
  29. Denise Farnsworth

“Yellow Raft in Blue Curaçao”

The colors in this drink remind me of the book jacket for the novel, Yellow Raft in Blue Water. It makes me think of floating on a yellow raft in beautiful azure waters with a good book and of course a drink in hand.

March 18, 2017 at 10:51 am
  30. Ariel

Mermaid Water ~ sipping my live-giving ocean and tipping my glass up to catch foam from a crashing wave.

March 18, 2017 at 11:23 am
  31. Rebecca Lou-Ann Livengood-Friend

LA Friend

Coastal Fog Lifter ~ One sip and all your worries slip away making you feel like you are sitting on a white sandy beach.

March 18, 2017 at 3:29 pm
  32. Marilyn Perla

The drink should be called A Curacao at the Beach. One of the liquors in the recipe is Blue Curacao which originates from the Caribbean Island of Curacao. If you google the island most photos show beautiful waters the color of the drink with white sandy beaches (the white rim on top of the drink) The slice of yellow lemon could represent the sunshine.

March 18, 2017 at 4:17 pm
  33. John guth

Hawaiian blue heaven. No matter where you drink this you feel you are at the beaches of Hawaii.

March 18, 2017 at 4:32 pm
  34. Carla Christopherson

Chasin’ the Blues Away

This cocktail makes me look forward to sitting on the beach this summer, leaving the winter blues far behind!

March 18, 2017 at 4:43 pm
  35. Johanna Calfee

Tiffany’s Trouble

Tiffany is only blue when this drink isn’t available. She saunters into the bar with pearls and diamonds and rocks this namesake drink in style!

March 18, 2017 at 8:10 pm
  36. Chris Swanson

Caribbean Creamy Dream, reminds me of the beautiful ocean water of the Bahamas and tropical atmosphere.

March 18, 2017 at 9:14 pm
  37. Michelle V. Barnes

Cruisin The Blue Tide Foam is what this drink should be called, my mind just went there when I read the recipe, the coupe glass and gazed at the picture as I live on the beach and see that blue water and foam daily.

March 18, 2017 at 9:48 pm
  38. Dave Sutton

Dave Sutton
    I would name this Bermuda Breeze. The color of the cocktail reminds me of the picture on pg 35, Navigator, and the sailing ships being blown across the blue waters of Bermuda.

March 18, 2017 9.28pm

March 18, 2017 at 11:29 pm
  39. Jen Jaremski

I would name this drink Azure Like It – a fun play on words “As You Like It” and who wouldn’t love to be sipping this right now?

March 19, 2017 at 9:14 am
  40. Kimberlee Pierce

“Blue Island Bliss”…..This treasured drink is a shimmering taste of pure island pleasure!
    Dreams of sugaring yourself in warm white sand, listening to the mystical ocean waves and sun-kissed sun filled days…heavenly!

March 19, 2017 at 11:25 am
  41. Margot Bianchi

Deep Blu Sea..for the colors of the ocean around Curaçao…

March 19, 2017 at 2:59 pm
  42. Katie

I’d call it an “Arashi Beach”. It’s the same color as the water in Aruba off Arashi Beach.

March 19, 2017 at 3:17 pm
  43. Aleida Costa

I call it Caribbean Scape because of the color of the Caribbean waters and I love it, just like Columbus did.!!!!

March 19, 2017 at 3:31 pm
  44. Shelly Higgins

I call this Blue Me Away. How could you not be impressed by the color of the Caribbean and the flavor of the tropics?!

March 19, 2017 at 4:35 pm
  45. Jodi Leach

This drink should be called A Blue Belize. This drink is not only the color of the waters of Belize but is is served in a glass that is round like the Great Blue Hole in Belize.

March 19, 2017 at 5:42 pm
  46. Jodi Leach

This drink should be called A Blue Belize. This drink is not only the color of the waters of Belize but is served in a glass that is round like the Great Blue Hole in Belize.

March 19, 2017 at 5:45 pm
  47. Claire Minnig

I’d like to go up to the bar and order a “Robin’s Egg” – easy to remember

March 19, 2017 at 7:22 pm
  48. Jennie Weidinger

A Blue Butterfly… I see this drink as a flirty, fun drink for an afternoon in the sun. Don’t forget your floppy hat, sunglasses, sunscreen & sandals.

March 19, 2017 at 7:48 pm
  49. Lisa Clark

“Blue for Viti Levu” … The color of the drink transcends you to a tropical location and the waters of Fiji come to mind and I liked the whimsical name of the island Viti Levu.

March 20, 2017 at 8:21 am
  50. Allison Bishop

“Aquavelvet” a twist on the name of the classic aftershave that plays upon the color and ingredients of this cocktail

March 20, 2017 at 8:43 am